Someone once said, “Be a beautiful cupcake in a world full of muffins.” Why? What’s wrong in being a muffin! It is flavorful and aromatic, it has a gorgeous golden top which needs no cover under that sugary icing, it travels better than a cupcake and, did you not know that you can have a savory muffin but, not a savory cupcake!
Being ordinary is extraordinary. And, what’s more extraordinary-this delicious and easy-peasy recipe of savory breakfast muffins that I found on the blog Sailu’s Food. Just throw in some flour, butter, mozzarella, corn and peas, and, the outcome- great looking, great smelling and great tasting happiness!
You can find Sailaja’s original recipe here. She has mentioned several other flavor combinations as well. I am going to try spinach & corn next time! Enjoy 🙂
CORN & PEAS CHEESY MUFFINS
Source: Sailu’s Food
Serving: 7 Large Muffins
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1+1/2 tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chopped green chilly
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet corn, boiled
- Green peas-fistful, boiled
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 processed cheese cubes, grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease the muffin moulds. I used silicone ones instead.
- Sieve the plain flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, butter, salt, green chilly and coriander leaves and mix well with a whisk.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add half of the flour mixture and fold with a spatula. Next, add half of the milk and gently fold to combine. Add the remaining flour and fold, followed by the rest of the milk.
- Add the corn kernels, green peas and grated cheese and fold to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin moulds.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 18-20mins or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre of each muffin comes out clean.
- I baked them for 3 more minutes at 200C for a beautiful golden top.
- Serve warm.
For a vegetarian version:
- Increase the baking powder by 1/2 tsp and,
- Replace the milk with buttermilk.