Here cometh the rain…and, with it, comes my craving for hot onion pakoras! And, here cometh the vision of oil dripping from those pakoras. Guilty guilty guilty!
So, what if I bake them instead of frying them- replace the batter with some flour and eggs, oh, and why not throw in some chicken too! And, you know what would be even better…Caramelized Onions! Genius!!
I wish all of this would have been true and that this recipe was my idea but, sadly, it isn’t. It belongs to a very shundor blogger Jayeeta who is behind this very shundor blog called Cooking Delight and, her savory muffin recipe has fried chicken in it! What more do we need!
You can find her original recipe here. My slightly tweaked (spicier!) version is right below. Enjoy 🙂
SPICY CHICKEN & CARAMELIZED ONION MUFFINS
Source: Cooking Delight
Serving: 12 Large Muffins
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 chicken thighs, boneless and chopped
- 1 tbsp chilly flakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon rind, grated
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven at 200C.
- Grease your muffin moulds. I used silicone ones instead.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onions and let them caramelize. Add the chilly.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool.
- In the same pan, add another 2 tbsp oil and, add the chicken, chilly flakes and a little bit of salt and cook, stirring over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. Let it cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and add some salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then, stir in the remaining oil and the lemon juice and rind.
- Pour in the soured cream and the yogurt and mix everything.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Gently stir in the onions and the chicken. Do not over stir the batter, it is fine if it turns out a little lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin moulds and bake for 20 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center of each muffin.
- Serve warm.