I am always looking up up-and-coming food trends on the web and what better place to see them getting transformed into beautiful recipes than Instagram! For many weeks I have been following Oliver Baik’s Show Me Your Eggs which has made me crave for baked eggs ALL THE TIME! But, not ‘boring’ ones. I want something different, BADASS!! But, also neat! So, I turn to my Indian blogging community for help. But, all I find are recipes for spinach and onion quiches. Why? Why are you so invested in writing about spinach and onion quiches when there are THOUSANDS of replicas of the same ‘perfect’ recipe all over the internet?! Why wouldn’t you want to try out, I don’t know, maybe butter baked eggs on spicy mutton keema?! Doesn’t that sound badass and neat at the same time?
(Meanwhile, in the background:
Angry Mom (to me): Please tell your brother to let me know beforehand, whenever he is planning to eat out so that all this food and my energy doesn’t go to waste!
Angry Bro (to me): Please tell mom not to cook mushy lauki sabzi (bottle gourd) every time. I WORKOUT! EVERYDAY! I deserve chicken!!
Angry Me (to me): I DESERVE PEACE!!)
and TING! goes the light bulb in my head and here comes the Binding Curry! More about that here.
So, let’s start with the basics. Yes! Because I can’t cook! I just bake! So, the mutton keema will have to wait! And, so can all the boring spinach quiches. Forever. Tata, byebye.
How about an INCREDIBLY CHEESY quiche pizza instead? With sweet onions and garlic caramelized to the core, topped with porny eggs and a roasted ketchup to go with it? Trust me it is the easiest yummiest thing you can ever make- the entire process takes just 15 minutes- including the roasted ketchup! Yes, we are going to ROAST the ketchup and make your life better and it’ll take just 4 ingredients to do that!
It is also pretty healthy and amazing because the crust is only made out of bread crumbs and we have entirely replaced heavy cream with milk. You can also jazz it up by tearing up some fresh radish greens into the mixture before baking or topping it up with fried bacon! Go crazy! Cheers 🙂
CARAMELIZED ONION & GARLIC QUICHE PIZZA WITH ROASTED KETCHUP
Serving: 3 Mini Quiche Pizzas & 50 gm Ketchup
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 bulbs of garlic, peeled
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Mixed dried herbs
- Chilly flakes
- Coriander leaves
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp regular ketchup
- Olive oil
- In a pan, heat enough oil to caramelize the sliced onions.
- Transfer the onion slices onto a plate and let them cool.
- Without adding any extra oil, toss the peeled garlic cloves in the same pan till they turn slightly golden.
- Transfer the garlic cloves onto a plate and let them cool.
- Without adding any extra oil, slightly roast the diced tomatoes in the same pan, till they start leaving their juices out.
- Blend the roasted tomatoes with 1/4th of the fried onions and garlic in a blender.
- Transfer the pureed tomato mixture back to the same pan with 2 tbsp regular ketchup and let the sauce reduce on low heat till it reaches the preferred consistency.
- Your Roasted Ketchup is ready!
- For the quiche pizza, preheat your oven to 200C.
- Grease your mini quiche pans with butter. I used three 13cm springform tart pans.
- Microwave the bread slices on high for a minute till they turn into toasts and pulse them into breadcrumbs.
- Line the breadcrumbs on the base and walls of the greased quiche pans.
- Spread the remaining fried onion and garlic on top of the crumbs.
- Whisk the egg whites with the milk and cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture into the quiche pans.
- Slowly transfer 2 egg yolks on top of the egg white mixture in each pan.
- Sprinkle some mixed herbs, chilly flakes and coriander leaves on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes for runnier yolks and 15 minutes for hard set yolks.
- Let them cool slightly and serve with some roasted ketchup!