Everyone in my family (except me) is always on their feet, especially my mom! She cleans up our mess from the night before, cooks us breakfast, preps for lunch and leaves for work even before I wake up! Then she comes back during the day, cooks hot lunch for us, eats with us and leaves again only to return in the evening. She then watches some telly, cooks our dinner, eats a little, finishes off her paper work and dozes off the second her hair brushes the pillow. All of this, just so we get fresh ma ke hath ka khana (food prepared by mamma) everyday! Something which I wished for during my entire college life that I spent away from home, even though I was in Indore, which is known as one of the foodie cities of India!
Similarly, my brother rushes off to the gym the moment he wakes up, then he comes back, showers and hurries off for his classes. He returns around lunch, eats with us, naps a little and rushes off to his basketball practice, then the gym again, then the sauna and then finally, he comes back around dinner.
And, no, I am not always a slob! Even I have a crazy routine sometimes, mostly when I am formulating my products (more about which in my future posts!) but, on most days I am just sitting and researching….all about the beauty industry, organic and safe ingredients and practices, starting up a business from scratch, legal compliance, product trends, market analysis, social media marketing, funding methods, ecommerce, what to do and what not! This is never ending.
What is amazing is that inspite of being super busy, my family is wholly my support system! Mom has taken care of everything around the house which lets me completely focus on my work. And, even on her most stressful days when she might say something which could negate my energies, she understands. And, when she doesn’t, my brother keeps whispering the magic words near me, “I have faith in you”.
Moving on from all this HEAVY STUFF, I have an amazingly easy breakfast-to-lunch snack-on-the-go recipe which is especially for workaholics who have to depend on potato chips for an entire meal! You just mix 3 spoons each of corn, flour, semolina, salsa and cheese, bake cups out of them, drop an egg in each cup and bake for 10 minutes. That is it! Really! Check it out below if you don’t believe me!
And, have a fun meal with your family 🙂
MEXICAN STREET ‘CORNY’ EGGS WITH FRESH HOMEMADE SALSA
Serving: 6 Baked Egg Corn Cups
- 3 tbsp cooked corn
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp semolina
- 3 tbsp any grated cheese
- 3 tbsp salsa
- 6 eggs
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small capsicum, chopped
- 1 lemon’s juice & rind
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh ginger juice
- Cumin powder
- For the salsa, muddle all the salsa ingredients together and voila!
- For the corn cups, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Grease 6 muffin moulds or better, use silicone ones instead as they are easier to handle while removing the corn cups.
- Mix all the corn cup ingredients together, except the eggs.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin moulds and push it against the base and walls with the back of a spoon to form the cup shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till they are cooked through.
- Detach the cups from the moulds but don’t take them out yet.
- Break an egg into each cup and sprinkle some salt on each egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes for a runny yolk, 13 minutes for a crinkled yolk and 15 minutes for a hard set yolk.
- Serve hot with fresh salsa!