No! This post is not about the Kardashians! This season is all about corn, corn and CORN! We’ll char it for starters, roll it for main course and bake it for dessert! And, it is going to be super-easy and super-bonding for you and your family.
When I think about corn, the first scene that pops-up in my head is of the roadside corn-on-the-cob vendors in my city, fanning away the fumes from the burning coal that chars that golden golden corn! They then brush a lemon wedge against a salt and red chilly spice mix and rub it quickly on the corn while gently squeezing the lemon at the same time and then serve it to us back in its own husk. Its a different kind of pleasure, eating that ‘basic’ corn-on-the-cob, feeling the warmth from the burning coal beside you, and a soothing whiff of that road which has soaked in hours and hours of rain…
Hey! But, we don’t do ‘basic’ here! No, no! So, let’s jazz up our humble corn with something tropical and sweet- coconuts? The classic South Indian coconut chutney! But, that would be too sweet…then chilly sauce? Too spicy? Schezwan sauce! Perfect! And, something refreshing too…hmm…the har ghar ki green chutney?! Bingo! And, of course cheese! Cheese is BAE!!
(Meanwhile, in the background:
Mom (while watching telly): I have the most useless children on earth. One is always sitting with her eyes buried in that laptop screen and the other is always busy on the phone, god knows talking to whom! Who does he talk to anyway?
Me (to mom): How would I know? Must be some friend.
Angry Mom (to me): When are you ever aware of the things happening in your own house?
Bro enters the room (still on the phone).
Angry Mom (to me): See!
Angry Mom (to bro): Where were you and who are you talking to?
Bro (on his phone): Ha Tiwari! Come soon bro and bring some popcorn too, the Khanna Match has just begun…)
Okay, more about that here!
I just heard a loud thunder so I’ll go out and jump some puddles! Meanwhile, scroll down for my easy and yummy recipe for Schezwan And Coconut Charred Corn On The Cob and also, did you check out my Roasted Ketchup recipe yet? I have been told that I should bottle it up and sell it! Wink, wink 🙂
SCHEZWAN & COCONUT CHARRED CORN ON THE COB
Serving: 3 Corn Cobs
- 3 sweet corn cobs
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp schezwan sauce
- 1 lemon or lime,
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small tomato
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp mozzarella, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- Chat masala, (or chilly powder or pepper, or any spice mix which you prefer)
- Grind the coconut, schezwan and fresh cream into a chunky paste.
- Grind the coriander, green chilly, tomato and onion into another chunky paste.
- Season both the pastes according to your preference.
- In a bowl, mix some salt and chat masala or any spice mix to make a spice rub.
- Char-grill the corn cobs to perfection!
- Quickly, with a lemon-half, rub the spice mix on the hot corn cobs while squeezing the lemon at the same time.
- Now, rub both the flavor pastes on the cobs.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese and let it melt slightly for a few seconds.
- Eat while hot!
After you finish eating the kernels, break the cob into two and inhale its inner aroma. It’ll help your tummy in digesting the corn faster!